Dowry Square, Hotwells
Set back behind and protected by the established gardens within a fine Georgian square, close to the waterfront – a strikingly attractive and characterful end of terrace grade II* listed townhouse, of circa 3,240sq.ft, having useful cellar space and 46ft walled garden.
Very conveniently located within a short distance of Clifton Village (0.5 miles) with an eclectic mix of cafes, bars, boutique shops and plenty of restaurants, Bristol city centre, Universities and Hospitals as well as the Waterfront area with its historic maritime associations, the beautiful parkland of Ashton Court Estate are within easy reach providing lovely walks and recreation space. Easy commuting out of town via the Cumberland Basin to the south or via the Portway to M5 motorway junction 18. The highly regarded Hotwells Primary school is just around the corner.
A very special and characterful family home, built circa 1720, with many attributes such as natural light, period features including period fireplaces, panelled walls, sash windows, slate flagged flooring and ornate moulded plasterwork.
Located in the historic and beautiful Dowry Square, laid out by George Tully, who later became one of the foremost architect - surveyors in Bristol, the square is enclosed on its north, east and west elevations and was purposely left open on the south to the sun and river. Our clients have spent many Summer evenings in the square (exclusively for use by residents) with family and friends. Most of the houses were built to provide suitable lodgings for the fashionable visitors to the nearby Hot-Well though it became of note in the medical world, through the work of Humphry Davy (who lived in this very house).
Ground Floor: reception hall, kitchen/breakfast room, dining room, cloakroom/WC.
Cellar: two large barrelled ceiling storage rooms/workshop.
First Floor: landing, drawing room with interconnecting wide doorway through to sitting room.
Second Floor: landing, 2 en-suite double bedrooms.
Third Floor: landing 2 further double bedrooms (4 in total), family bathroom.
Outside: good sized walled rear garden enjoying a good amount of privacy with sitting out areas. Communal gardens centrally in Dowry Square and exclusively for residents only. Located within Clifton and Hotwells residents parking scheme.
Our clients have already secured a property with no onward chain making a prompt move possible.
- Stunning Georgian townhouse
- End of terrace
- Grade II* listed
- Versatile and gracious accommodation
- Circa 3,240 sq.ft.
- Useful cellar space
- 46ft walled rear garden
- Communal Square garden
- Cliftonwood and Hotwells Residents Parking Scheme
- Our clients have already secured a property with no chain
from the pavement, an attractive canopy with wood panelled front door and fan light, opening to:-
DINING ROOM: 15' 11'' x 14' 6'' (4.85m x 4.42m)
an exquisite dual aspect room with multi-paned sash windows to both the front and rear elevations, period fireplace with inset wood-burning stove, recess to either side of the chimney breast (one arched recess having shelving), useful storage cupboard with shelving, exposed wooden floorboards, floor to ceiling panelled walls with dado rail and simple moulded cornicing, ceiling light point.
KITCHEN/BREAKFAST ROOM: 15' 9'' x 15' 0'' (4.80m x 4.57m)
comprehensively fitted with an array of Shaker-style base and eye level units, combining drawers, cabinets, glazed display cabinets and shelving. Roll-edged Corian worktop surfaces with splashback tiling and pelmet lighting, 1½ bowl sink with draining board to side and swan-neck mixer tap over. Gas-fired AGA set into chimney breast. Integral appliances including electric oven, combi-microwave/oven, 5 ring gas hob, extractor hood and dishwasher. Space for tall fridge/freezer. A pair of multi-paned sash windows overlooking the rear garden with working shutters and radiators below, original Welsh dresser, ceiling light point, inset ceiling downlights, tiled-effect flooring.
low level flush wc, wash handbasin with splashback tiling, wall light point, radiator. Door with staircase descending to the cellar.
continuation of the slate flagged flooring, ceiling light point, raised height shelf. Panelled door with fan light opening externally to the rear garden.
enjoying plenty of natural light via multi-paned sash window to the side elevation, dado rail, radiator, arched recess at three-quarter quarter landing with shelving, radiator, ceiling light point. Turning staircase continuing to the second floor. Panelled doors with moulded architraves, opening to:-
DRAWING ROOM: 17' 7'' x 14' 6'' (5.36m x 4.42m)
a gracious reception room having three tall multi-paned sash windows overlooking rear garden with working shutters. Central period fireplace with cast iron basket and carved mantlepiece, recesses to either side of chimney breast (both with double-opening display cupboards and further cupboards below), exposed wooden floorboards, radiator, ceiling light point, inset ceiling downlights. Wide wall opening with folding panelled door opening to:-
SITTING ROOM: 16' 2'' x 13' 8'' (4.92m x 4.16m)
a dual aspect room with two tall multi-paned sash windows overlooking the rear garden and additional overlooking Dowry Square to the front elevation (all with working shutters). Central period fireplace with cast iron basket and recesses to either side of the chimney breast (both with fitted book shelving), exposed wooden floorboards, two radiators, dado rail, ceiling light point, inset ceiling downlights. Panelled door returning to the landing
multi-paned sash window overlooking Dowry Square, radiator, airing cupboard housing hot water cylinder with slatted shelving, ceiling light point, radiator. Turning staircase ascending to top floor. Panelled doors with moulded architraves, opening to:-
BEDROOM 1: 16' 4'' x 13' 11'' (4.97m x 4.24m)
dual aspect with multi-paned sash windows to the front and rear elevations, a pair of double-opening built-in wardrobes, radiator, inset ceiling downlights, window seats. Door to:-
Ensuite bathroom: 10' 5'' x 5' 8'' (3.17m x 1.73m)
panelled bath with mixer tap and overhead circular shower. Vanity unit with undermount sink plus cupboards and drawers, low level flush wc, heated towel rail/radiator, obscured multi-paned sash window with window seat, radiator, inset ceiling downlights, wall light point, extractor fan.
BEDROOM 2: 14' 8'' x 11' 11'' (4.47m x 3.63m)
a pair of multi-paned sash windows to the rear elevation with window seats and working shutters, period fireplace, two built-in wardrobes, radiator, inset ceiling downlights. Folding door opening to:-
Ensuite shower room:
vanity unit with undermount oval sink and cupboards below, low level flush wc, shower cubicle with handheld shower attachment, radiator, inset ceiling downlights, extractor fan, 2 wall light points.
part galleried over the stair well with window to the side elevation, ceiling light point, bookshelving, doors to:-
BEDROOM 3: 19' 8'' x 11' 3'' (5.99m x 3.43m)
multi-paned sash windows to the front and rear elevation, chimney breast with recesses to either side, eaves storage cupboards, wash handbasin with mixer tap and double cupboard below, inset ceiling downlights.
BEDROOM 4: 14' 10'' x 11' 7'' (4.52m x 3.53m)
multi-paned dormer-style window to the rear elevation, chimney breast with recesses to either side, radiator, inset ceiling downlights.
BATHROOM/WC: 9' 9'' x 4' 11'' (2.97m x 1.50m)
panelled bath with mixer tap and telephone-style shower attachment, wash handbasin with hot and cold water taps, low level flush wc with concealed cistern, heated towel rail/ radiator, inset ceiling downlights, extractor fan.
ROOM 1: 20' 6'' x 16' 9'' (6.24m x 5.10m)
barrelled ceiling with 6’2” max ceiling height, space and plumbing washing machine and tumble dryer, illuminate strip light, radiator, wall mounted Worcester Bosch gas fired Combination boiler, light and power connected. Door opening externally to the rear elevation.
ROOM 2: 12' 11'' x 12' 6'' (3.93m x 3.81m)
barrelled ceiling with 6’2” max ceiling height, works station with shelving above, light and power connected.
REAR GARDEN: 46' 0'' x 33' 0'' (14.01m x 10.05m)
enjoying an incredible amount of privacy and seclusion, plus westerly side aspect. Enclosed on all 3 sides by a combination of stone and brick walling. Immediately to the rear of the house is a sunken patio with ample space for garden furniture, potted plants and BBQ etc. Steps down which give access to the cellar. Steps up to the main section of garden which features a circular lawn and deep shrub borders. Additional sitting area and an assortment of flowering plants, mature shrubs and climbing plants.
RESIDENTS GARDEN SQUARE:
the central square gardens are private and all owners of properties in Dowry Square are joint owners, key holders and automatically members of the Dowry Square Gardens Committee, responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the gardens and their perimeter railings. The square gardens provide a delightful amenity and enjoyment for all the residents.
located within the Cliftonwood and Hotwells parking scheme.
VIEWING & FURTHER INFORMATION:
available exclusively through the sole agents, Richard Harding Estate Agents, tel: 0117 946 6690.
FIXTURES & FITTINGS:
only items mentioned in these particulars are included in the sale. Any other items are not included but may be available by separate arrangement.
it is understood that the property is Freehold. This information should be checked by your legal adviser.
1. Anti Money Laundering Regulations: when agreeing a sale of a property we are required to see both proof of identification for all buyers and confirmation of funding arrangements.
2. Energy Performance Certificate: It is unlawful to rent out a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating, unless there is an applicable exemption. The energy performance rating of a property can be upgraded on completion of certain energy efficiency improvements. Please visit the following website for further details:
3. The photographs may have been taken using a wide angle lens.
4. Any services, heating systems, appliances or installations referred to in these particulars have not been tested and no warranty can be given that these are in working order. Whilst we believe these particulars to be correct we would be pleased to check any information of particular importance to you.
5. We endeavour to make our sales details accurate and reliable but they should not be relied on as statements or representations of fact and they do not constitute any part of an offer or contract. The seller does not make any representation or give any warranty in relation to the property and we have no authority to do so on behalf of the seller.
6. Please contact us before viewing the property. If there is any point of particular importance to you we will be pleased to provide additional information or to make further enquiries. We will also confirm that the property remains available. This is particularly important if you are contemplating travelling some distance to view the property.
7. Any floor plans provided are not drawn to scale and are produced as an indicative rough guide only to help illustrate and identify the general layout of the property.
8. Any reference to alterations to, or use of, any part of the property is not a statement that any necessary planning, building regulations, listed buildings or other consents have been obtained. These matters must be verified by any intending buyer.
9. Please be aware that firstly, areas of first priority (AFP) for schools do change and, secondly, just because a property is located within an AFP this does not mean schooling is guaranteed for resident children. Please make appropriate enquiries of the local authority to ensure you are fully aware of the exact position prior to exchange of contracts.