Forty Acre Lane, Alveston
An elegant and attractive Georgian period detached house with coach house and numerous outbuildings set in grounds of circa 15.5 acres
Believed to have been built at the end of the 18th century this grade II listed home retains many period features and offers generous 6 bedroom, 3 reception accommodation (circa 4,360 sq ft) over two floors.
Within the same ownership for the past 50 years this charming property is now in need of some modernisation and improvement to return it to its former glory.
Exclusive grounds surround the property comprising formal lawns, pasture fields/ paddocks and woodland.
A rare and exciting opportunity to have your own small country estate, just 10 miles north of Bristol.
Sold with no onward chain so a prompt move is possible.
- Georgian Detached House
- circa 15.5 acres of grounds
- 6 bed / 3 Reception
- Grade II Listed
- Coach House and outbuildings
- In need of Modernisation/Improvement
- Lawns/ paddocks, and woodland
- Small country Estate
- 10 Miles North of Bristol
- Sold with no onward chain
Bristol is the regional capital of the south west and lies 120 miles to the west of London. It has a total population of approximately 700,000 people. Links to the motorway network (M4 and M5) are good and the city benefits from two mainline railway stations and an international airport.
Alveston (population circa 3,000 people) is a village lying approximately 10 miles north of Bristol and within 2 miles of the market town of Thornbury. It is located on the edge of the Severn Vale escarpment adjoining the A38 Gloucester Road. The village enjoys excellent road communications onto the M5 motorway with junction 14 approximately 5 miles to the north and junction 16 approximately 4 miles to the south, and it is close to the M4/M5 interchange just to the east of the Severn crossing.
The property is located in a semi rural position approximately 0.5 miles from the centre of Alveston, to the south east of the A38 Gloucester Road, off Forty Acre Lane and is within 1 mile of Marlwood Secondary School and 0.25 miles of St Helens C of E Primary School
heading north from Bristol along the A38 pass the village sign for Alveston and at the sign for Alveston Down and Elberton, take the immediate next right hand turning into Forty Acre Lane (opposite St Helens church) and then after approximately 100 metres turn right (signed The Loans - Private) between the stone pillars and then pass through a further set of wrought iron gates following the long poplar and laurel lined carriage driveway which then sweeps left and so to the front of the house.
solid wooden front door opens into entrance porch with ceiling cornice, pennant flagstone floor and part glazed wooden door with fanlight above opens into:-
impressive grand reception hall with two open areas around a fine period staircase, with solid floor, sash window to rear elevation with working shutters, period fireplace with marble surround and wood burning stove, ceiling cornice. Doors lead off the hall to all rooms on this floor and to understairs storage cupboard, and to the rear garden. Fine stripped wooden staircase rises to first floor landing.
DRAWING ROOM: ((24' 5'' x 21' 1'') (7.44m x 6.42m))
ornate ceiling cornice and centre rose, picture rail, beautiful circular bay window with three large sashes with working shutters and window seats under which are positioned three radiators, fireplace with marble surround and woodburning stove, solid wooden parquet flooring.
SITTING ROOM: ((21' 7'' x 15' 2'') (6.57m x 4.62m))
ceiling cornice with frieze and centre rose, picture rail, sash windows to two elevations with working shutters, radiator, door to lobby which in turn leads to the raised terrace.
DINING ROOM: ((22' 5'' x 16' 5'') (6.83m x 5.00m))
sash windows to front elevation with working shutters, ceiling coving, radiator.
cloakroom with coat rack and door to low level wc with wooden seat and lid, sash window to front elevation with working shutter, wash hand basin with cupboards beneath and shelved cupboard.
KITCHEN/BREAKFAST ROOM: ((16' 9'' x 14' 4'') (5.10m x 4.37m))
a mixed range of base and wall mounted units with island unit, double electric oven and electric hob, two bowl stainless steel sink with mixer tap and secondary tap. Sash window to front elevation with working shutters, radiator, steps down to Larder Cupboard and Lobby leading off to Pantry/Cold Store (6'9 x 6'8) (2.05m x 2.04m) and further door leads off to:-
BOILER ROOM/UTILITY: ((18' 2'' x 12' 1'') (5.53m x 3.68m))
range of units, sink with double drainer unit with tiled surrounds, floor mounted Trianco oil fired boiler, hot water tank, fuse boards, ceiling skylight.
ceiling cornice, sash windows to front elevation set within delightful alcove, stripped wooden doors radiate off to most rooms on this floor including the main bedroom suite.
MAIN BEDROOM SUITE:
Bedroom 1: ((rear) (24' 1'' x 21' 8'') (7.34m x 6.60m))
large circular bay with three sash windows with working shutters and a delightful southerly outlook and far reaching views across fields to the rear, radiators, ceiling cornice and picture rail, built-in wardrobes and cupboard, doorway leads through to:-
Nursery/Dressing Room: ((14' 10'' x 13' 9'') (4.52m x 4.19m))
flexible accommodation with sash window to front elevation with working shutters, radiator, door leads back into bedroom 2 and also glazed door leads into:-
En Suite Bath/Shower Room/WC:
white suite comprising bath, pedestal wash hand basin, low level wc and shower cubicle with electric shower, window to side elevation and towel rail.
BEDROOM 2: ((front) (14' 9'' x 14' 2'') (4.49m x 4.31m))
sash window to front elevation with working shutters, ceiling cornice, radiator, doorway leads through to the nursery/dressing room, double doors access shallow cupboard.
BEDROOM 3: ((front) (15' 4'' x 14' 3'') (4.67m x 4.34m))
ceiling cornice and picture rail, sash window to front elevation with working shutters, period fireplace surround, shallow cupboard, wash hand basin, radiator.
BEDROOM 4: ((rear) (15' 6'' x 13' 8'') (4.72m x 4.16m))
ceiling cornice, picture rail, wardrobes, sash window to rear elevation with far reaching views across fields, radiator, wash hand basin.
BEDROOM 5: ((rear) (10' 0'' x 9' 9'') (3.05m x 2.97m))
ceiling cornice, sash window with working shutters, radiator, built-in shelved cupboard. (It would appear that bedroom 4 & 5 originally were one room and the existing wardrobe/cupboard arrangement between the two rooms could be removed to re-connect the two rooms as one again).
BEDROOM 6: ((rear) (10' 0'' x 9' 5'') (3.05m x 2.87m))
sash window to rear elevation with working shutters, built-in wardrobe.
sash window to front elevation with working shutters, bath with electric shower over and shower shield, wash hand basin and low level wc.
WALK-IN LINEN CUPBOARD:
large shelved linen room, housing hot water tank and extensive linen shelving.
positioned around an open flagstone courtyard there are numerous outbuildings (please see floorplan) including large coach house (now a double garage) with hay loft above, and loose boxes and stalls, a tack room and tool shed, a log store, wc with wash basin, oil tank room and further stores. There is also a large (dilapidated/no glazing) greenhouse.
in total the extensive grounds that surround the property comprise some 15.5 acres of lawns, pasture fields/paddock and woodland. Close to the house is a former walled kitchen garden with fruit trees, rose garden, terrace with large fish pond, and a wishing well.
A public footpath runs through the property.
Fishmongers Swallet, a cave of minor archeological interest dating back over 2,000 years, is located within the grounds.
mains water, drainage and electricity are available and heating is via an oil fired system.
TITLE AND TENURE:
the land is held under a number of titles which are predominantly Freehold.
South Gloucestershire Council.
VIEWING & FURTHER INFORMATION:
available exclusively through the sole agents, Richard Harding Estate Agents, contact us on 0117 9466690.
FIXTURES & FITTINGS:
only items mentioned in these particulars are included in the sale. Any other items such as carpets etc. are not included but may be available by separate arrangement.
1. Anti Money Laundering Regulations: when agreeing a sale of a property we are required to see both proof of identification for all buyers and confirmation of funding arrangements.
2. Energy Performance Certificate: It is unlawful to rent out a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating, unless there is an applicable exemption. The energy performance rating of a property can be upgraded on completion of certain energy efficiency improvements. Please visit the following website for further details:
3. The photographs may have been taken using a wide angle lens.
4. Any services, heating systems, appliances or installations referred to in these particulars have not been tested and no warranty can be given that these are in working order. Whilst we believe these particulars to be correct we would be pleased to check any information of particular importance to you.
5. We endeavour to make our sales details accurate and reliable but they should not be relied on as statements or representations of fact and they do not constitute any part of an offer or contract. The seller does not make any representation or give any warranty in relation to the property and we have no authority to do so on behalf of the seller.
6. Please contact us before viewing the property. If there is any point of particular importance to you we will be pleased to provide additional information or to make further enquiries. We will also confirm that the property remains available. This is particularly important if you are contemplating travelling some distance to view the property.
7. Any floor plans provided are not drawn to scale and are produced as an indicative rough guide only to help illustrate and identify the general layout of the property.
8. Any reference to alterations to, or use of, any part of the property is not a statement that any necessary planning, building regulations, listed buildings or other consents have been obtained. These matters must be verified by any intending buyer.
9. Please be aware that firstly, areas of first priority (AFP) for schools do change and, secondly, just because a property is located within an AFP this does not mean schooling is guaranteed for resident children. Please make appropriate enquiries of the local authority to ensure you are fully aware of the exact position prior to exchange of contracts.